Rice Lake Cottaging
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for cottagers on Rice Lake, Ontario

You are not connected. Please login or register

The start of the ice road season

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The start of the ice road season Empty The start of the ice road season Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:25 pm

cowislander

cowislander

Apparently the lake started freezing over last night between Cow and the northshore, can anyone confirm this?

2The start of the ice road season Empty Re: The start of the ice road season Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:31 pm

shimmy_crazy

shimmy_crazy

Ice is completey gone with today's warm up and rain. Hoping to be able to stay on Long Island until this weekend, but I know there are others here who are hoping longer.... with yesterday's ice, it sure makes me wonder!!!

3The start of the ice road season Empty Re: The start of the ice road season Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:20 am

Admin

Admin
Admin

with the cold temps, I'm sure theres a thin skiff of ice by the shoreline, although I dont expect anything that would prevent island access for a couple more weeks. Thats what I'm counting on anyways.
I'll be up at the lake again later this week and will try and take some pics.This is what it looked like from Long Island on Friday afternoon.
The start of the ice road season Imagej11

https://ricelakecottaging.forumotion.com

4The start of the ice road season Empty Re: The start of the ice road season Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:18 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin

Well the word on the lake is the ice is coming in hard and fast, so looks like I'm going to have to pull my boat from the marina Wed and hope for the best(read: write off) the 1 section of dock I left in the lake. Oh well. Thats what happens when you push your luck I guess.
On the plus side, it may mean being able to walk/sled across by christmas!

5The start of the ice road season Empty Re: The start of the ice road season Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:20 pm

cowislander

cowislander

im going up on saturday just to measure how thick the ice is at the bay, haven't missed a Chritmas on the island in 8 yrs. and judging by the forcast, looks like we'll be good to go in another week or so.

6The start of the ice road season Empty Re: The start of the ice road season Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:57 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin

Just got back from the lake...too dark to get any pics, but the ice is really coming in. You can walk on it in Marvins harbour. Had to use a chainsaw to cut out my alum boat to get it out of the lake, and even still it had a few hundred lbs of ice caked around it. Theres a good chance you'll be able to walk to Cow by late next week (but I'd give it a little longer, personally alien )
Its supposed to warm up *slightly* on the weekend, but I dont see how a few hrs of +2deg will make much difference overall.

7The start of the ice road season Empty Re: The start of the ice road season Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:39 am

cowislander

cowislander

The bay between Islandview and the north end of Cow usually freezes quickly, im not planning on actually crossing until the following week, but i usually go up and measure anyway. i expect it will be a good 3" or more of clear hard ice already by Saturday. A major cold snap expected by Sunday night of -13 to -16 until wed.

8The start of the ice road season Empty Re: The start of the ice road season Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:21 pm

cowislander

cowislander

Well today was the end of the ice season for me, yesterday went out and measured the ice again at the bay and there was still over 16" in most areas, but its starting to rot fast, and the shorelines are weak, so hopefully in 2-3 weeks we'll have the boat in.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum