Rice Lake Cottaging
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for cottagers on Rice Lake, Ontario

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rice Lake Fishing Tips

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rice Lake Fishing Tips Empty Rice Lake Fishing Tips Tue May 18, 2010 2:05 pm

Long Island Lars

Long Island Lars

http://www.thefishinguide.com/rice.shtml

In spring, Rice lake walleye can be found scattered in the weedflats around Bewdley, cast a silver rattle spot, retrieve at medium speed in 5-8 ft. of water, try to cover a lot of water, this area is quite large. If the bite is off, try trolling in this area with a chartreuse worm harness. Also fish the mouth of the Otonobee River, where it spills into the lake, use jigs tipped with worms or minnows, in the deeper holding pools off Jubillee Point. Rice lake pickerel/walleye average 1-2 pounds, although some lunkers in the 5-6 lb range are not uncommon.

In summer, the walleye school in the deeper channels on the south end of Rice lake, just out from Gores Landing, troll slowly with chartreuse worm harness in 17-21 ft. Once you catch a walleye, anchor, and fish with jigs tipped with bait. Also fish the waters near Tick island and the old railway line. Rice lake walleye can be difficult to locate in summer, fishing the pockets in heavy weeds, with white jigs, can be very rewarding. For more information visit www.FishingPickerel.com

Largemouth Bass are quite common in Rice lake, and Professional Bass Tournaments are held yearly. In summer largemouths are concentrated on the weedflats north of Bewdley. The weeds are high at this time of year, and they may choke the entire south-west bay. Look for clearings and pockets in the weeds and cast texas-rigged worms or plain jigs into the holes, motor-oil and smoke colours work best, use heavy line 14 lb. test and up, once again cover lots of water, check the weeds near 6-8 ft. of water. Mouth of Otonabee in the stumps off Cow Island is also a good bet. Go up Otonabee and fish the Lily pads near Bensfort Bridge, use frog imitations like the pop-r and snagproof sally. Rice lake bass can grow huge, many fish in the 5-6 lb range are caught annually, although the average largemouth is 2 lbs.

Smallmouth bass can be caught in the deeper areas of Rice lake in 15-17ft of water. Fishing the drop-off created by the sunken railroad near Tick Island is a prime smallmouth area. The many rocks from the old railway attract crayfish, the smallmouth's favorite food.

Rice lake is famous for it's Muskie Fishing. With the abundance of panfish, these predator fish grow huge, with some fish tipping the scales in the 30lb range, although 10-15lb Muskie are more common. The best method to catch Rice lake muskie is by trolling. Cover lots of water along the deeper channels on the south end of Rice lake. Use large body baits in perch patterns for best results, 6-9" crankbait lures give best results. Also casting large bucktails along weedlines especially on windy days can be very effective on Rice lake musky.

Angler's Fishing Tip#1
I've just recently been fishing rice just north of roseneath and have had lots of luck with largemouth bass and walleye. Fish any of the islands on the tips anchoring in 12-15 ft of water and fish the slope in 20-26 ft with jigs and power baits, drag the jig slowly up the ledge occasionally with a pop and good results will happen. You have to work the area very thoroughly as the fish seem to be scattered at this time of year. The main thing is to go very slowly. I boated a 4.8 lb largemouth and three walleye the largest being 3.3 lbs, also picked up 6 crappie and perch.

Angler's Fishing Tip#2
I`ve fished Rice Lake for many years and the spot that my Dad and I always head to is located in between the Otonabee River and the Hiawatha Indian Reservation, (the old sunken railway line). There is a white church probably about a mile or two from the marker bouys towards the river and if you fish about 100 to 250 yards from shore it seems to be a great spot for walleye and perch, We`ve always had great luck with the fishing in this spot. Try it out some time I don`t think you`ll be disappointed. Take care and good fishin`.

2Rice Lake Fishing Tips Empty ugg shoes Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:33 am

e17

ugg zābaki latvijā
ugg boots
ugg
The products come in soft and downy even about the outer area of the boots. The authentication of the sheepskin is guaranteed through the company and you can see it for yourself.

http://www.mbtshoesukonsale.co.uk/

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum